As we celebrate 161 wonderful years of Wilsons Pet Food, we take a look back at how we started and how Wilsons became the company we are today...
Going all the way back to 1861, after years of back breaking work in a Scottish seed-crushing mill, our founder John Wilson decided to leave his previous role to became a feed and grain merchant, using a borrowed horse and cart to buy and sell animal feeds to local farmers.
John soon saved enough money to open his own factory and sourced state-of-the-art machinery from America to begin producing his own animal feed.
Having survived two world wars, Wilsons began operating from a new larger mill in Dundee and began focusing on producing muesli-based dog food for pet owners across Scotland and beyond, where at one stage dozens of lorries would leave depots in Dundee and Glasgow for deliveries throughout the UK.
Wilsons moved their base from Dundee to Blairgowrie and have recently opened their newly revamped factory in Drongan, East Ayrshire which has given them the opportunity to produce much more food to satisfy the increasing number of customers feeding their dogs delicious Wilsons dog food across the UK.
Although Wilsons have been known by many names through the years, from Wilsons & Sons, to Wilsons of Dundee and now Wilsons Pet Food, we have always remained right here in Scotland and will forever be proud of our humble beginnings.